This course provides students with knowledge about the organization and design of a computer’s system. It also discussed the impact on the practice of software development. It will cover topics such as instruction set architecture, how to assemble programming languages, designing central processing units, cache organization and memory hierarchy.
The learning outcomes of this course are:
- Understanding machine language
- Understanding the assembly language and high-level languages
- Familiarization with the instruction set of a processor especially Intel’s Pentium
- Understanding how high-level language commands are broken into processor-level instructions
- Acquiring a good understanding of interrupts and exceptions
Pre-Requisites: COSC 111